Thursday, October 9, 2008

How I make bread

I have been asked several times how I make bread.  I have been learning how to make bread this past year and as a result the following process is what I follow.  Please mix it up, keeping it tasty is all about using different ingredients.  Buy some different flours, throw in some seeds, or sprinkle the top with something interesting.  Let me know how you made out and how I can learn from your creations!


Melt ½ Cup of butter in a large pot on the stove (take off heat as soon as melted)


Pour ½ cup of warm water into a large bowl and add 1½ tbsp of traditional yeast


Add 1 tbsp of salt and ⅓ cup of honey or molasses to the butter

(I usually use honey for lighter recipes and molasses for darker grainier bread)

When cooled to about 100 degrees add 3 cups of milk


Pour the contents of the pot into the yeast after it has percolated for 10 minutes


Add 3 cups of (whole wheat, mulit-grain, etc) flour and 1 cup of white flour


Mix (at this point add any raisins or seeds, etc if they are going in)


Slowly add 3 more cups of (whole wheat, multi-grain, etc) flour and 1 cup of white flour


Knead to perfection


Place in a large buttered bowl with a warm, wet towel overtop in warm quiet place


After at least an hour knead the dough again slightly


Divide into pieces (it makes two big loaves, or many buns, etc)


Shape and place in pans 

(I really recommend stoneware for bread, use butter if you use anything else)


Let rise 10-20 minutes depending on how dense you want it to be


Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes, depending on the size of the bread


Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack

1 comment:

mamainthemountains said...

well thanks paul! I will definitely try this out and let you know how it goes. I don't have stoneware yet, but maybe this experience will prompt me to purchase a loaf pan!