Sunday, December 14, 2008

Egg Bread Recipe

I've made this egg bread recipe at our church before and had good comments about it. I recently made some to freeze for our celebration of the coming ruler and thought I would share it. I think it's tops, and have been working with it for a while now. All credit goes to my father who taught me how to make it (who in turn would thank someone who taught him of course). Having been working on bread a lot in recent months I am realizing how bread recipes are something that need perfecting and personalizing to get right. I'm not there with any of mine yet, but a fresh load of bread that isn't quite right is always better than anything you'd buy at the store.

Egg Bread

Prepare the following:

#1 - Pot on low heat (melt butter, dissolve sugar/salt, add milk and warm)
½ Cup Butter
4 Tbsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
½ Cup Milk

#2 - Large Warm Bowl (dissolve sugar, add yeast and let sit 10 minutes)
1 Cup Warm Water
2 tsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Yeast

#3 - Small Bowl
4 Eggs whisked

#4 - Medium Bowl
6 Cups of Flour

Add #1 to #2, then add #3, then mix in the flour in two stages

Knead to perfection

Put in greased, covered bowl to rise until doubled (1 hour)

Punch down, divide into six equal parts and let rest 10 minutes

Roll each part until it is a little longer than the bread pan

Braid three together and place in buttered load pans

Place buttered paper towel over to avoid drying out

Let rise 30 minutes

Brush with beaten egg

Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees

No comments: