Saturday, January 31, 2009

Jonathan Edwards

I spent my 20s as the youth pastor of three medium-sized churches (I did other things in my 20's, so don't feel sorry for me). I took groups of these high school students to church rallies, Christian-Rock shows, weekend retreats and the like. By the arena-full I've heard speakers tell the group of students that they were experiencing a 'revival' and that they were a special generation. Now that I'm in my 30's I feel let down by talks of revival that didn't materialize. I don't take groups to 'big events' anymore, but I still desire to see the revival. Facts are that we are seeing a secularization of the church, not a revival. Non-Religious people make up 14% of the earth's population now, a far cry from under 1% at the beginning of the last century. But what disappoints me more than the many statistics that show the declining church is the heart of the church. Churches that are becoming hour-long 'shows' for busy people have lost the purpose of the church to be a vibrant community of faith.

Jonathan Edwards pastored a New-England church in the 18th century that experienced revivals so significant that history now refers to them as 'the great awakening'. Edwards and others with him are helpful to us today in our desire to see a renewal of the church. Here is a helpful summary of their teaching

1. The problem is the church's dullness and deadness toward God. Open sin and 'going through the motions' are what Edwards thought needed be addressed. The problem is not that the church is powerless in society, but that it is bored with itself.

2. Being satisfied with God and his glory is the source of any revival. A revival is not increases attendance, giving or excitement, but the church's gladness in God alone. It can not be human-generated.

3. Heart-stirring preaching and persistent prayer are what we need to do. New techniques that simply 'push the right buttons' are condemned by Revelation 3:17.

4. Avoid any romantic ideas about revival. Edwards saw the enemies of revival as opposition and extremism. Revival will not solve all of our problems.

5. The essence of true revival is an awakened heart. Edwards put it this way: It's not that we know in our heads that honey is sweet, but that we have a sense of its sweetness.

6. The outcome of the above is evangelism. Therefore, we should not start with evangelism, but with the dullness that you and I experience in the church.

Whether we agree with Edwards and how we apply this will be our discussion. I also mentioned that I will show a video clip that may help us understand whether one church in particular has understood Edwards' work and is experiencing true revival.

No comments: